Posted on: March 1, 2015
Posted by: Natasha James, Project Administrator, Design & Construction, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
Welcome fellow travellers. I have some tips to make your upcoming trip a fun and unforgettable one. The key is organization and research, so keep reading. Below are just a few of the fascinating places to explore in Canada.
This may seem like a tedious, time consuming task – but it pays off. Create a checklist (or two). What will work for you? A hand written list stuck to the fridge? Google Keep? The following are important items when starting your checklist:
- Travel health kit. Taking this step seriously can ease stress, save time and save money. I have a personal story I’d like to share. I was in a third world country in need of Cipro®, and actually had it with me. I’ll tell you this – the stress, time and money I saved from avoiding a (possibly horrifying) hospital trip was a life lesson I’ll never forget. I realize this is slightly off topic and extreme in order to make a point, but now I can pass along this learning to you! Pack items such as: medication you are taking or may need, hand sanitizer, bandages, antiseptic, nausea medication, antacids, acidophilus, antihistamine, pain killers, eye drops, contacts, lozenges, sunscreen, aloe gel.
- Love singing in the car? Who doesn’t?! Download songs you’ve been meaning to, or ask a friend what their new favourite album is. Or your child – if you dare.
- Get your car serviced. ‘Nuff said.
- Pack smart. Create a separate list for the clothes and accessories you will need. Think about key items. Four hoodies may not be necessary. Socks, comfortable pants, sunglasses, hat…and a mobile car charger are all musts!
- Give your credit card company a heads up. Call your credit card company to advise them of your travel plans. The last thing you want to deal with while travelling is a cut-off credit card.
- Need extra data? Call your cell phone company and ask what packages are offered.
- Bring water and snacks. Unsalted trail mix and dried fruit is an easy, healthy choice. Why waste money at a gas station? OK, bring your favourite chips too. Purchasing junk food on the road can be darn tempting.
Vancouver is known for its beauty, and active lifestyle. Rent a cruiser bike and take a ride along the seawall which wraps around Stanley Park, the number 1 park worldwide on Trip Advisor. Stop for a drink or eats at The Fish House and take in the gorgeous greenery surrounding the patio. The Dungeness Crab Cakes are dee-lish! Book your stay at the Residence Inn® by Marriott Vancouver Downtown and check out other areas around the city, like Robson Street or Gastown, which are short walks from your hotel.
Now you can add to your budget with the money you’ve saved from being organized! Check in at the DoubleTree by Hilton® Hotel West Edmonton and head to the world famous West Edmonton Mall, which offers (what seems to be) endless shopping and activities for all ages. Once you’re back at your hotel, sit back and enjoy a signature DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Martini…’cause you will deserve it.
Take a Hike
In my Father’s words, ‘take the time to smell the roses’. Stop at lookouts to stretch your legs and appreciate nature. Plan a hike in Banff, Alberta. Did you note hiking shoes on your checklist? Admire the breathtaking views at the Bow Summit Lookout. The pictures you’ll bring home will last a lifetime.
The beauty of the Prairies…the road less travelled
The sunsets are like no other. Fancy a Safari? Visit the artistic and impressive Assiniboine Park. The architecture in Winnipeg is iconic and surprisingly stunning. Visit the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The exterior alone is fascinating. Step inside for a journey through history.
Montreal oozes culture, classic beauty, character, style. Put your walking shoes on and stroll through the cobbled streets of Old Montreal. Work up an appetite and treat your tastebuds at a charming outdoor café. Mount Royal, often referred to as an “oasis of nature”, offers lovely park walks and a spectacular view of the city.
East Coast Hospitality
End your explorations in one of the happiest cities in Canada. Explore Halifax attractions, including the Harbour Boardwalk, Halifax Citadel National Historic Site, Pier 21 and the trendy Spring Garden Road – all close to the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Halifax-Downtown.
It has been said…
all good things come to an end. But you can always start planning your next trip! Calgary is a vibrant and entertaining city. Upcoming is our exciting project, the Residence Inn® by Marriott Calgary Downtown. Do as the locals do during Stampede, and party like a cowboy (or cowgirl!) on 17th Ave. Yeehaw!