Posted on: October 01, 2014
Written by: Jessica Minato, Senior Marketing Coordinator, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
Whether you’re looking for a career in customer experience, food & beverage, design & construction, accounting, or human resources and beyond, there’s a place for you in the hospitality industry.
People looking to jump into the hospitality industry need to know that there are two sides to it—the operational side (the front line staff working in hotels), as well as the corporate side (those working ‘behind the scenes’ in support of the front line staff). Though most of us think about guest services, event planning, and food & beverage positions when we think of hospitality fields, there are plenty of opportunities on the business side as well. The corporate side can be more hands on with asset management, market analysis, business strategy, hotel construction, design & development, and national expansion.
According to the Hotel Association of Canada, travel and tourism is one of the fastest growing businesses today, and as a result, job opportunities in this field are expanding.
One of the biggest misconceptions for people who haven’t worked in the hospitality industry is that it may not be a good long-term career choice. What these people often don’t realize is that many employees starting out in entry level jobs will have a variety of opportunities to work in different departments, gaining valuable experience and climbing the ladder to eventually reach a management role; giving them a great chance to learn the business from the ground up. Even some of SilverBirch’s own staff (Lori Chomyk and Heather Hamilton) started out their career this way. Others have come through a totally different career path: Check out the ‘I Value’ section on our website to hear from our associates about some unorthodox roads to the hospitality industry.
Top 5 reasons to choose a job in hospitality:
- It opens a door to a world of opportunity – With the enormous scope within the hospitality industry you can try out many different niches until you find the one that best matches your interests and skillset.
- It’s creative – You aim to create great memories for your guests, there’s always room to innovate and come up with new ways of making it a more enjoyable experience for your customers.
- Flexibility – Woking in hotels can involve a great deal of variety, not only in terms of the hours you work, but also what you do during those hours.
- Great perks – Most hotels offer competitive benefits packages along with discounted room rates for associates, friends, and family.
- Fun atmosphere – Hotel positions are usually filled with friendly associates who’s main goal is to put the customer first, which is why this industry contains some of the most vibrant, lively, and fun people you’ll ever meet.
I bet you’re thinking to yourself, ‘This sounds great! Where do I apply?’ While many people automatically resort to job seeking websites (Workopolis, Monster), or even multi-purpose websites (Kijiji, Craigslist), we recommend doing your homework first. Research a few hotels or hotel management companies that you’re interested in and then see if they have a careers or a hiring now page on their website. These types of pages usually give you a pretty good indication of what positions they are looking to fill and often post jobs on their corporate sites first, before sending them to other outlets.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your resume out there and join one of the most diverse careers available, today!