Written By: Stacey Morton, Marketing Consultant, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
This may be an unpopular opinion (although I suspect many people secretly agree), but when traveling to visit family for the holidays, I prefer to stay in a hotel! Yes…I said it! I am not anti-social or anti-relative, hear me out! Here are the top ten reasons to stay at a hotel this holiday season:
1. Bask in seasonal solitude – Ever find the holidays to be too close for comfort with family members in your personal space? Staying in a hotel provides the all-important Christmas gift of privacy. So when you tire of Uncle Bob’s jokes or sugar-charged children, escape to the privacy of your hotel room for some much needed serenity and silence.
2. Make it a family affair – Do you ever get the feeling your three adorable offspring are less than welcome at your sister-in-laws? Make this holiday a memorable family vacation by staying at a hotel complete with family friendly perks like indoor pools and in-room games.
3. Supplement your holiday diet – When your palate tires of turkey and shortbread, turn to the restaurant in your hotel to round out your diet. No offense to family members, but professional chefs just do it better!
4. Sleep in – Don’t spend the holidays bleary-eyed and exhausted from unwelcome family early morning wake ups and lumpy sofa beds. Catch up on your zzz’s in comfort at a hotel, where you can set your own wake-up time and hibernate in a cozy bed.
5. New romance – Don’t let this holiday season turn into a scene from the movie Meet the Parents. The new love in your life deserves a break from the family scrutiny.
6. Work off extra holiday indulgences – Avoid January resolutions by warding off extra holiday pounds before they settle onto your waist. Most hotels have workout facilities (much better than the “Sweatin to the Oldies” DVD at your in-laws house) to keep you on track.
7. Last Minute Christmas Shopping – It’s easy to be behind in seasonal shopping duties right up until Santa himself is due to visit. Many hotels are conveniently located near shopping centres so take care of everyone on your list even if you leave it to the last minute.
8. Relax, Relax, Relax – The holidays can be the most stressful time of the year. Take time to unwind from the hectic pace at one of the many spas and pampering features offered at many hotels. Your family will appreciate the new relaxed you.
9. The Need for Speed – Let’s be honest, the WiFi speed (if available) at Nana’s house is not exactly high speed. If you need to get any work done or just want to enjoy some quality time with Netflix, hotels tend to have great high speed internet access and hotels like SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts offer it FREE! So, download to your heart’s content!
10. Feel Good About Giving – Many hotels like SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts offer special prices and programs to benefit charities. At SilverBirch, $10 from your hotel room will go to a local charity through the Friends In Need program. So, your decision to not stay at your relatives actually helps others, so feel good about giving back this holiday season.