Human Resources Manager
Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax Downtown
SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts is one of Canada’s leading hotel management companies and manages over 20 hotels and resorts across Canada. We manage independent hotels and hotels operating under major franchise brands, such as Marriott, Hilton, Radisson, Quality, Best Western and Ramada.
At Homewood Suites, the “Be at Home” culture is deeply rooted in the belief that “We think life on the road should be more about life, and less about the road”. Homewood Suites by Hilton exists to provide the touches, familiarity and comforts of home. Guests enjoy the extra space and privacy of the all-suites property, the casual atmosphere and the at home-like amenities and services. In fact, Homewood Suites by Hilton is consistently ranked above the competition by guests, thanks to an appealing combination of bundled services, award-winning quality and the benefits of Hilton Honors.
At the heart of the Hampton brand is Hamptonality – we bring our own individual strengths and irresistible personalities to work. We find our own ways to deliver on our brand promises: Delighting our Guests – Rewarding loyalty – Engaging new friends – Supporting our teams. At the root of Hamptonality is the notion that “Hamptonality Starts with Me!”: My Engagement – My Enthusiasm – My Effort. At Hampton, our mission is to satisfy every guest, every time.
We are looking for a Human Resources Manager at the Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax Downtown
It is a very exciting time to join the SilverBirch family as we introduce these two exciting brands as the first Hilton hotels in downtown Halifax!
The Human Resources Manager (HRM) reports to the General Manager and is a strategic partner that contributes to the hotel’s long term vision related to people practices. The HRM provides human resources leadership in the areas of recruitment & selection, performance management, succession planning, training, employee relations, total rewards, employment legislation, policies & procedures and health & safety. The HRM is responsible for overseeing and managing the day to day operations of the Human Resource department and plays a key role in nurturing the hotel’s performance driven culture.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Essential Functions – Leads the delivery of all SilverBirch and brand human resources policies, practices, programs and training. Manages the recruitment and selection function of both properties for all positions. Oversees the new hire orientation program; including basic orientation (SilverBirch and brand specific) and hotel-wide orientation. Oversees the management of the Payroll Submission & the Associate Benefit Program. Conducts regular wage/salary reviews and local surveys. Prepares and governs the Human Resources budget for the Hotel. Establishes and maintains confidential associate files, maintains the accuracy and integrity of human resource information systems. Champions the Associate Engagement Survey (CSI) process, interprets the results, and supports the development and implementation of action plans. Ensures the hotel is operating in full compliance with all provincially and federally legislated employment standards, guidelines and human rights codes. Is fully versed on the collective agreement in place at the hotels and is the key liaison between management and our union partners.
- Skill and Ability – Provides human resource consult to the General Manager, Department Heads and Supervisors through thoughtful, concise, and strategic advice Conducts training needs analysis to identify skills and competency gaps. Recognizes barriers to success and facilitates proactive dispute resolution that supports a performance driven culture. Uses judgment supported by human resource acumen and practical experience to escalate matters as required. Utilizes the results of the training needs analysis to assist managers in preparing individual and departmental training plans to enrich our associates and support organizational excellence. Able to coaches, guides and administers the progressive discipline process with the Hotel Managers and Supervisors and ensures Performance Management evaluations are completed in accordance with guidelines. Stays abreast of Human Resource activities and advancements through participation in local HR industry related groups and organizations.
- Supportive Function – In addition to the performance of the essential functions this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions: assume responsibility of building in the absence of other Managers; act as Manager on Duty; other duties as assigned such as special projects.
- Physical Requirements - Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, walk or climb stairs as part of the Hotel’s emergency response team, spend extended periods of time processing and completing computer and administrative work.
- Safety Requirements - Maintains a safe and secure work environment in compliance with applicable Occupational Health & Safety legislation.
- Organizational Leadership – Must be able to develop, demonstrate and nurture a culture of understanding, supporting and participating in all elements of expected performance.
Preferred Education & Qualifications:
- 3-5 Years’ experience in Human Resources management.
- Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Human Resources Management.
- CHRP designation preferred.
- Unionized workforce experience preferred.
- Thorough working knowledge of all human resources disciplines (benefits, collective agreements, compensation, training, recruitment, performance management, employee relations).
- Knowledge/experience of hotel operations preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of and practical experience with relevant provincial employment standards legislation.
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships, internal and external to the organization through integrity and trust.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; capable of adapting communication style to various mediums and levels of the organization.
- Experience with budgets and planning.
- Service focused, understands the principles and processes required for providing exceptional, personalized service in a timely manner.
- Strong leadership skills; seasoned coach and mentor.
If you are interested in joining SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, we want to hear from you!
SILVERBIRCH HOTELS & RESORTS IS SUPPORTIVE OF WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
NOTICE TO POTENTIAL JOB APPLICANTS
If you are considering employment with us, please be advised that SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
- does not require job applicants to pay a fee for a job application or opportunity; and
- does not make unsolicited offers of employment.
If you have been approached by any entity engaging in such practices who claims to represent SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, please advise us immediately by email at email@example.com and contact either the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.