SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts is one of Canada’s leading hotel management companies and manages over 20 hotels and resorts across Canada. We manage independent hotels and hotels operating under major franchise brands, such as Marriott, Hilton, Radisson, Quality, Best Western and Ramada.
We are looking for a Hotel Controller at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel & Conference Centre.
The Hotel Controller is responsible for the professional fiscal management of assigned property(s) which includes leading the hotel accounting team in providing timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis to the hotel, regional and corporate management teams. This position ensures proper systems and controls are in place to effectively capture the transactions and safeguard the assets of the hotel; and lead the hotel in the effective management of hotel expenses relative to business volumes. This role is an integral participant in identifying, analyzing and implementing new revenue sources.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintaining a system of accounts and internal controls to provide accurate, timely financial statements and to provide effective control over the assets and revenues of the hotel
• Maintaining policy and procedure manuals for the Accounting department
• Initiating with the General Manager, the monthly completion of the Internal Control Checklist
• Instituting with the Regional Controller a system of internal checks designed to prevent any unauthorized transactions.
• Performing operational process reviews to ensure proper control systems are in place and associates are adhering to company policies and procedures
• Continuously evaluating financial and operational policies and procedures with a view to improving their effectiveness and efficiency
• Ensuring internal and external audit recommendations are implemented on a timely basis
• Ensuring bank reconciliation’s are properly completed on a timely basis and outstanding items are promptly investigated and resolved
• Ensuring general ledger reconciliation’s are completed on a timely basis and all transactions flowing through the general ledger are properly accounted for
• Approving all journal entries before they are posted to the general ledger
• Participating in the monthly physical count and valuation of inventories
• Managing the night audit function (includes reviewing the work of the night auditor).
• Managing the cashiering function including supervision and maintenance of procedures and controls over cash receipts (this includes issuing and monitoring cash floats)
• Preparation and analysis of monthly financial statements of the hotel
• Leading the hotel in the preparation of forecasts and budgets and assisting the general manager in preparing business cases/plans for the hotel
• Identifying and presenting business opportunities for the hotel
• Preparation of accounting, statistical and any other special reports which may from time to time be required by the General Manager, department heads or Head Office
• Processing and approving credit applications or recommending applications for approval
• Monitoring compliance with credit policies
• Reviewing city ledger transfers to ensure billings are issued on a timely basis
• Maintaining procedures to ensure accounts are collected on a timely basis and losses are minimized
• Ensuring guest and city sub ledger totals balance with the general ledger
• Assisting the General Manger in controlling expenditures within budget by ensuring the tools provided are being used in all operations of the hotel
• Developing and maintaining sound purchasing and receiving procedures that ensure goods and services ordered are properly approved and that payments made to vendors are only for products or services received
• Supervising the accounts payable function to ensure invoices are accurately recorded in the books, amounts owing are paid on a timely basis while still optimizing cash flow, and controls for the disbursement of funds are properly maintained
• Accounting for expenditures and disbursements within the scope of budgetary cost control processes and company policy
Preferred Education & Qualifications:
• CMA/CGA (about to complete or have completed) or a degree/diploma in accounting/finance
• Minimum 5 years in a Senior Accounting role
• Hospitality experience preferred
• Strong leadership and supervisory experience
• Experience generating and analyzing monthly financial reports
• Experience with budgetary processes; cost control/revenue maximization
• Knowledge of local, regional, provincial and federal laws and regulations (including tax regulations)
• Experience implementing and maintaining effective purchasing processes
• Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Excel mandatory
• Experience with Microsoft Word and Network systems
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Understands and demonstrates customer service and works to build organizational credibility
• Strategic thinker and able to work supporting the overall business plan
• Sets achievement oriented goals and standards both personally and for the Accounting team
• Communicates and problem solves effectively, finding solutions that are beneficial to guests, associates and the organization
• Enhances one’s own ability and the ability of other’s to contribute
• Displays a positive attitude, maintains enthusiasm and celebrates succes.
If you are interested in joining SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, we want to hear from you!
Human Resource Services
Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre
SILVERBIRCH HOTELS & RESORTS IS SUPPORTIVE OF WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
NOTICE TO POTENTIAL JOB APPLICANTS
If you are considering employment with us, please be advised that SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
• does not require job applicants to pay a fee for a job application or opportunity; and
• does not make unsolicited offers of employment.
If you have been approached by any entity engaging in such practices who claims to represent SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, please advise us immediately by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and contact either the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.