We are looking for a Hotel Accountant for the Best Western Charlottetown, PEI.
Under the leadership of the Area Controller the Hotel Accountant is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the financial statements which include the balance sheet and the statement of profit and loss. This position is responsible for ensuring proper systems and internal controls are in place to effectively safeguard the hotel from possible losses and recognized risks which may occur due to several factors such as errors, fraud or a technological breakdown.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintaining a system of accounts and internal controls to provide accurate and timely financial statements
- Maintaining policy and procedure manuals for the Accounting department
- Ensuring the completion of the monthly Internal Control Self-Assessment
- Instituting a system of internal checks designed to prevent any unauthorized transactions
- Performing operational process reviews to ensure proper control systems are in place and associates are adhering to company policies and procedures
- Ensuring internal and external audit recommendations are implemented on a timely basis
- Ensuring bank reconciliations are properly completed on a timely basis and outstanding items are promptly investigated and resolved
- Ensuring general ledger reconciliations are completed on a timely basis and all transactions flowing through the general ledger are properly accounted for
- Approving journal entries before they are posted to the general ledger
- Participating in the periodic physical count of inventories and operating stock
- Review the work of the Night Auditor
- Review procedures and controls over cash receipts (this includes issuing and monitoring cash floats)
- Preparation and analysis of monthly financial statements
- Participate in the preparation of forecasts and budgets
- Preparation of accounting, statistical and any other special reports
- Monitoring compliance with credit policies
- Reviewing city ledger transfers to ensure billings are issued on a timely basis
- Maintaining procedures to ensure accounts are collected on a timely basis and losses are minimized
- Ensuring guest and city ledger totals balance with the general ledger
- Controlling expenditures within budget by ensuring the tools provided are being used in all operations of the hotel
- Developing and maintaining sound purchasing and receiving procedures that ensure goods and services ordered are properly approved and that payments made to vendors are only for products or services received
- Supervising the accounts payable function to ensure invoices are accurately recorded and amounts payable are paid on a timely basis
- Accounting for expenditures and disbursements within the scope of budgetary cost control processes and company policy
- Work with the Central Payroll Office (CPO) to ensure the payroll process is efficient and effective and that the CPO policies are adhered to
- Ensure a Daily Sales and Labour report is in place and distributed in a timely manner
- Ensuring the hotel complies with all regional, provincial and federal laws and regulations (including tax regulations)
- Advising and educating department heads on accounting policies and procedures
- The Hotel Accountant may be assigned additional duties and responsibilities from time to time.
Preferred Education & Qualifications:
- A degree/diploma in accounting/finance and a minimum 3 years in a Senior Accounting role with Leadership experience
- Hospitality experience preferred
- Experience generating and analyzing monthly financial reports
- Experience with budget and forecasting processes; cost control
- Knowledge of local, regional, provincial and federal laws and regulations (including tax regulations)
- Experience implementing and maintaining effective purchasing processes
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Excel mandatory
- Communicates and problem solves effectively
- Will be a self-starter who likes to explore options and possible outcomes before taking any action
- Understands and demonstrates customer service and works to build organizational credibility.
If you are interested in joining SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, we want to hear from you!
SILVERBIRCH HOTELS & RESORTS IS SUPPORTIVE OF WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
NOTICE TO POTENTIAL JOB APPLICANTS
If you are considering employment with us, please be advised that SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
- does not require job applicants to pay a fee for a job application or opportunity; and
- does not make unsolicited offers of employment.
If you have been approached by any entity engaging in such practices who claims to represent SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, please advise us immediately by email at email@example.com and contact either the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.