SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts is one of Canada’s leading hotel management companies and manages over 20 hotels and resorts across Canada. We manage independent hotels and hotels operating under major franchise brands, such as Marriott, Hilton, Radisson, Quality, Best Western and Ramada.
We are looking for a Director, Hotel Accounting, Eastern Canada based at our regional office in Etobicoke, ON.
The Director, Hotel Accounting, Eastern Canada reports to the Vice President & Corporate Controller and is responsible for overseeing and providing direction on the fiscal management of the hotels located in Eastern Canada. The Director, Hotel Accounting works in partnership with the Vice President of Operations by acting as a strategic advisor providing analysis and forecasts that enable sound decision making. The decisions are focused on the achievement of the company strategic objectives which implies the achievement of strong operational results. Additionally, the Director, Hotel Accounting shares the responsibility of supervision of the Hotel Controllers with the General Managers of the various properties. In this capacity, the Director, Hotel Accounting provides guidance and leadership to the Hotel Controllers in financial matters impacting the hotels.
As a liaison between the field and corporate office, the Director, Hotel Accounting communicates with hotel and head office management to ensure internal controls are implemented and monitored and that financial records are maintained in accordance with company policy. As a member of the regional team, the Director, Hotel Accounting will work with the Vice President, Operations and the Director of Sales for their Region in helping hotels achieve success.
If you’re looking for a career in a growing company with a strategic edge and focus on the future, with the added opportunity to work and contribute across this great country of ours, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts is the place for you!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Aggregate and review the monthly hotel financial statements, provide feedback to the General Managers and Hotel Controllers and analysis to the Vice President & Corporate Controller and Vice President, Operations
- Oversee general ledger and documentation prepared to support monthly financial statements of each hotel and follow up on unusual items
- Work with the Vice President, Operations to prepare operational finance analyses, forecasts for property redevelopments and new developments, review property valuations, attend hotel operational excellence visits and improve the fiscal management of assigned properties
- Guide and coach Hotel Controllers during the annual budget process as well as participate in the regional reviews to ensure that the hotel submissions are accurate and achievable
- Participate in the development and ongoing maintenance of the company’s ERP and other systems
- Work in conjunction with the corporate accounting teams to develop, manage, improve, maintain and communicate SilverBirch accounting policies and processes
- Work in conjunction with the corporate accounting teams to manage and maintain the hotels’ chart of accounts to provide effective and consistent reporting of financial data across all hotels
- Work closely with the Internal Audit team to assist in the identification of risks at properties, maintenance of process narratives and ensuring that internal audit recommendations are implemented on a timely basis
- Define and refine the role of the hotel accounting positions and promote these to the hotel, regional and head office teams
- Develop, maintain and monitor a standardized monthly and annual review process of hotel financial records and financial statements
- Manage credit risk by assisting properties with credit decisions and managing national credit listings
- Work with the Transitions team on finance and accounting aspects of acquisitions and dispositions as required from time to time
- Supports the ongoing development of Hotel Controllers through national and regional conferences and preparation of training programs and manuals
- Provide coaching to Hotel Controllers including annual objective setting and regular formal and informal feedback on performance
- Provide coaching and training to Hotel Controllers on producing accurate forecasts
- Coordinate aspect of the year-end external audit process for hotel accounting
- Other related duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills
- Possess excellent multi-tasking and organizational abilities
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Thorough, logical and detail oriented
- Demonstrated sound professional judgment, ability to assess risk and prioritize
- Strengths in forecasting, budget preparation and analysis
- Possess a good sense of hotel and general business operations.
Education & Qualifications:
- Minimum 8 years previous experience as a hotel controller or similar experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing a team
- Professional accounting designation is preferred (CMA/CGA/CA/CPA)
- Understanding of real estate valuation is an asset
- Asset acquisition and disposals experience considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of ERP, Property Management and Point of Sales systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite, especially Excel.
If you are interested in joining SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, we want to hear from you!
SILVERBIRCH HOTELS & RESORTS IS SUPPORTIVE OF WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
NOTICE TO POTENTIAL JOB APPLICANTS
If you are considering employment with us, please be advised that SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
- does not require job applicants to pay a fee for a job application or opportunity; and
- does not make unsolicited offers of employment.
If you have been approached by any entity engaging in such practices who claims to represent SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, please advise us immediately by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and contact either the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.