SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts is one of Canada’s leading hotel management companies and manages a large portfolio of full-service, focused service and extended stay hotels across Canada. The company manages independent hotels and hotels operating under major franchise brands, such as Marriott, Hilton and Radisson.
We are looking for a full-time Controller at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton South in Edmonton, Alberta.
The Controller is responsible for the professional fiscal management of the Radisson Hotel Edmonton South which includes leading, coaching and mentoring the hotel accounting team in providing timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis to the hotel, regional, and corporate management teams. This position ensures proper systems and controls are in place to effectively capture the transactions and safeguard the assets of the hotel; as well as lead the hotel in the effective management of hotel expenses relative to business volumes. This role is an integral participant in identifying, analyzing and implementing new revenue sources. The Hotel Controller will lead change, innovate, and improve processes by defining and implementing procedures and/or technologies to deal with changes in the hotel.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain a system of accounts and internal controls to provide accurate and timely financial statements and to provide effective control over the operations of the hotel.
- Maintain policy and procedure manuals for the Accounting department.
- Initiate with the General Manager, to ensure completion of the monthly Internal Control Checklist.
- Institute with the Regional Controller a system of internal checks designed to prevent any unauthorized transactions.
- Perform operational process reviews to ensure proper control systems are in place and associates are adhering to company policies and procedures.
- Continuously evaluate financial and operational policies and procedures with a view to improving their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensure internal and external audit recommendations are implemented on a timely basis.
- Ensure bank reconciliation’s are properly completed on a timely basis and outstanding items are promptly investigated and resolved.
- Ensuring general ledger reconciliations are completed on a timely basis and all transactions flowing through the general ledger are properly accounted for.
- Approve all journal entries before they are posted to the general ledger.
- Participate in the monthly physical count and valuation of inventories.
- Manage the night audit function (includes reviewing the work of the night auditor).
- Manage the cashiering function including supervision and maintenance of procedures and controls over cash receipts (this includes issuing and monitoring cash floats).
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements of the hotel.
- Lead the hotel in the preparation of forecasts and budgets and assisting the general manager in preparing business cases/plans for the hotel.
- Identify and presenting business opportunities for the hotel.
- Prepare accounting, statistical and any other special reports required by the General Manager, Department Heads or Corporate.
- Process and approve credit applications or recommend applications for approval.
- Monitor compliance with credit policies.
- Review city ledger transfers to ensure billings are issued on a timely basis.
- Maintain procedures to ensure accounts are collected on a timely basis and losses are minimized.
- Ensure guest and city sub ledger totals balance with the general ledger.
- Assist the General Manager in controlling expenditures within budget by ensuring the tools provided are being used in all operations of the hotel.
- Develop and maintain sound purchasing and receiving procedures that ensure goods and services ordered are properly approved and that payments made to vendors are only for products or services received.
- Supervise the accounts payable function to ensure invoices are accurately recorded in the books, amounts owing are paid on a timely basis while still optimizing cash flow, and controls for the disbursement of funds are properly maintained.
- Account for expenditures and disbursements within the scope of budgetary cost control processes and company policy.
- Review and approve payroll runs generated by the Central Payroll Office (CPO).
- Lead the hotel to ensure CPO policies and processes are followed and that payroll is processed efficiently and effectively.
- As a strategic business partner to the GM and a member of the hotel executive committee, the Hotel Controller will actively participate in department head and executive meetings and contribute to the management of the hotel.
- Offer coaching and teaching to department heads regarding financial/business matters.
- Build talent within the accounting team and leverages the talent across the property.
- Support fact-based decision making and lead by example.
- Ensure the hotel complies with all regional, provincial and federal laws and regulations.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Preferred Education & Qualifications:
- Previous experience working within a hotel environment is required.
- Self-starter who likes to explore all options and possible outcomes before taking any action.
- Thorough, logical and detail oriented worker.
- Strategic thinker well suited to organizational and directing positions, and able to work supporting the overall business plan.
- Enjoys a structured worked environment.
- Proven leadership abilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Understands and demonstrates customer service and works to build organizational credibility.
- Sets achievement oriented goals and standards both personally and for the Accounting team.
- Communicates and problem solves effectively, finding solutions that are beneficial to guests, associates and the organization.
- CMA/CGA (about to complete or have completed) or a degree/diploma in accounting/finance.
- Minimum 5 years in a Senior Accounting role, with experience in leadership and supervision.
- Experience generating and analyzing monthly financial reports.
- Experience with budgetary processes; cost control/revenue maximization.
- Experience implementing and maintaining effective purchasing processes.
- Intermediate ability with Microsoft Excel is mandatory.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Network systems.
- Normal office working conditions.
- The work is intense and detail oriented, and often involves working with computers and custom-designed software.
- Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
If you are interested in joining SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, we want to hear from you!
SILVERBIRCH HOTELS & RESORTS IS SUPPORTIVE OF WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS.
NOTICE TO POTENTIAL JOB APPLICANTS
If you are considering employment with us, please be advised that SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts
- does not require job applicants to pay a fee for a job application or opportunity; and
- does not make unsolicited offers of employment.
If you have been approached by any entity engaging in such practices who claims to represent SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, please advise us immediately by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and contact either the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.